April 23, 2011


MHADA Housing Information (Frequently Asked Questions)
Q 1 .Give brief information about Maharashtra Housing & Area Development Authority.  
Ans.  Government of Maharashtra founded Maharashtra Housing & Area Development Authority (MHADA) by passing an enactment to carry out the works of housing and Area Development across the state. There are nine regional boards under the jurisdiction of the Authority namely- Mumbai Housing and Area Development Board, Mumbai Buildings Repair and Reconstruction Board, Slum Improvement Board, Konkan Board, besides Pune, Nashik, Nagpur, Aurangabad and Amravati are the regional boards
The jurisdiction of Mumbai Housing and area Development Board is limited upto Dahisar and Mulund.
The regional board shares the responsibility of works like Housing , development of the land, distribution /allotment of tenements or plots , maintenance, transfer of tenancy and lease agreement, and sale of deed i.e. conveyance of societies and other as per the provisions in the Authority's act of 1976 and as per the provision made in regulation in 1981 by the state Government (and the changes made from time to time herein).
Q 2.How to and where to apply to get the possession of tenement or developed plot of the housing Boards ?
Ans:    The tenements /houses constructed by MHADA (Estate Management , selling,Conveyance, Transfer of tenements) are sold under provisions of Regulation 1981 by giving advertisement in the Newspaper by inviting applications. In the advertisement an appeal is made to public to buy the printed application forms in prescribed format by MHADA and submit them in given time.
Q 3. After the application how the tenements or plots are distributed?
Ans :  After the acceptance of application forms, scrutiny of the forms is done to check the first hand eligibility of the applicant and after that a date is declared through the newspapers for the lottery.
Q 4. Has Authority appointed any agents or brokers to sell its tenements ?
Ans :   No. Authority has not appointed any broker or agents to sell the tenements constructed by the Mumbai Housing and area Development Board. The marketing department of the board is capable and well equipped with sufficient staff and machinary. To sell the houses constructed by the boards, it takes help of certain Banks to sell and accept the application form from the public at its various branches. All the changes from time to time are made to public through advertisements.
Q. 5. Can I apply at any time to get the flat?
Ans:     No You can not. Because to sell the flats available with MHADA, an advertisement is given in the newspaper which will give all the details( kindly refer to Q. 2  for details.)
Q. 6. Can Husband and wife apply for the house separately?
Ans:    Husband and wife has freedom to apply separately and in more than one code numbers on certain terms and conditions. The couple has to declare their respective earnings in the application forms. If the wife is not earning then she can apply independently for the house by declaring the income of her husband. But if the husband and wife are selected in the lottery at both the places, they can be allotted only one flat from the lottery. The applicant has to surrender one of the flats to the Authority. Else the authority will take back/confiscate all the property allotted by it and legally sue the applicant as per the procedure.
Q.7.    What are the income limitations for applying for these flats.
Ans:     The Authority has set certain limitation for the allotment of its tenements. Before the  allotment of the tenements the applicant's income is at  first taken into consideration. The authority has decided  three income groups -- LIG, MIG and HIG .       
The income limitation for these categories are as follows.
A)Economically Weaker SectionBelow Rs. 8000 /-
B) Lower Income GroupBetween-Rs.8,001/- to Rs. 12,000/-
C)Middle Income GroupBetween-Rs.12,001/- to Rs. 20,000/-
D)Higher Income GroupBetween- Rs.20,001/- and above
Q. 8.  Do we need to pay any amount and any document along with the application form?
Ans:     The applicant is not suppose to submit any document along with the application  form but he/she will have to pay an amount called EMD. The details of the EMD would be mentioned in the advertisement and the information booklet, which will be given along with the application form.
Q 9.   When and what documents are required to be submitted to get the allotment of the flat.?
Ans:     A successful applicant in the lottery system, will receive an intimation letter wherein the list of documents will be mentioned. The applicant is asked to submit these documents to fix his/her eligibility. The list documents is as follows"
  1. Domicile Certificate
  2. Income Certificate
  3. Affidavit for income(self employed who are not paying IT)
  4. Affidavit of Income of Spouse(Incase of joint application)
  5. Affidavit for income in addition to the income from employment
  6. Birth Certificate / School Leaving Certificate / Election Card.
Q. 10. Who can apply for the MHADA's tenements?
Ans:     The applicant who wants to apply for the tenements of the MHADA should fulfill following criterion :
  1. .Applicant’s age shall be more than 18 years
  2. Applicant shall obtain Domicile Certificate from Competent  Authority.
  3. Applicant or his spouse should not own a residential property in his /her name in the Jurisdiction of Brihanmumbai Municipal Corporation.

Q. 11. How the Successful candidate in the lottery gets the flat?
Ans:     When the lottery is declared, the successful applicant receives intimation letter according to which , the applicant has to submit documents asked in the letter.  The MHADA, on the basis of those document fixes the eligibility of the Applicant. 
Q. 12. What all elements are included in the monthly installments after the Allotment of the flat?
Ans : If the tenement is allotted on the lease rent basis then following elements are prominently included equal installments on remaining amount
  1. Maintenance
  2. Land rent
  3. Civic tax
  4. N.A. tax
  5. Service tax
    • water Rates
    • extra expences on water supply like water pump
    • cleanliness and sweeping
    • street lighting
Q. 13. Does the housing board has any reservations while allotting flats?
Ans:     The authority constructing houses for all strata of society on social housing concept, definitely has reservation quotas as follows :
1) a) Scheduled Caste and Neo-buddhist
   b) Scheduled Tribes
  c) Nomadic Tribes
  d) De-notified Tribes
1 1/2 %
1 1/2 %
2) Journalist
3) Freedom Fighter
4) Handicapped/seriously ill, in desperate need of a house
5) Those employees or the next of kin of those employees of Defence or BSF who have been killed or disabled or declared missing in  indo-china war of 1962 or indo-pak war of 1965 or 1971 and the relatives of those personnel disabled in these war or                                    
6) Ex-servicemen and their dependents
7)All sitting and ex-members of parliament, State Legislative assembly, legislative council 
8)Mhada employees
9) State government employees, and employees of all statutory bords, Authorities and corporation etc.
(excluding MHADA) under the state government including those who have already retired.
10) Central govt employees occupying staff quarters and due or retirement within three years or those who have already retired
11) Artists in films, television, stage-drama, tamasha and radio and also those engaged in performing arts
including painters , sculptors, craftsmen, musician (both vocal and instrumental ) dancers , poets kawwals or mimics.
12) Government desires
General Public
14. Can an application made for one reserved category is exchanged against another reserved category?
Ans:   No. The application made in one particular reserved category can not be exchanged with another reserved category. The scrutinized application received for the reserved categories if are less in number then can be considered for Scheduled caste category but the remaining tenements in other reserved categories can be converted into general public category.
15. Can the applicant remain present at the drawal of the lottery?
Ans: yes he/she can.
16. In how many days , the EMD is returned.?
Ans : After the lottery is declared the EMD is returned in a period of two weeks.

MHADA APRIL-MAY 2011 LOTTERY DETAILS (MUMBAI) Can be Found at : https://lottery.mhada.maharashtra.gov.in

 Source :  http://mhada.maharashtra.gov.in


  1. pls tell where we can get the forms for application i am unable to download it.

  2. Hi Please refer the following links/queries/answers... also download the new book provided in the links .. this is an post for last year.


  3. Dear Mr Ganesh Punjabi,
    Do you have the documents format after issue of allotment letter. I have received the allotment letter but there is no attachment sent along with the letter.
    Also how to get the NOC for housing loan from MHADA Mumbai

    1. After recieiving the allotment , have a visit at the MHADA office for more details regarding the alloted flat details. For getting a housing loan NOC, you have to confirm the bank from whom you would be taking the loan. The details of the bank loan amount, and property details have to be provided to MHADA in the prescribed form available at MHADA office for which you would be alloted with the NOC to be submitted to the bank.


Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Comment and Reviews

Please Note For Leaving Comments, Reviews and Queries on the Blog Post You would have to Join the Site. This is needed to prevent Spam.

Blog Join Link is Provided Below.



Popular Posts